Sunday, August 8, 2010

Entry #1- The Sun Also Rises

Simile- "For a man to take it ("The Purple Land") as a guide-book to what life holds is about as safe as it would be for a man of the same age to enter Wall Street direct from a French convent, equipped with a complete set of the more practical Alger books" (page 17).

Alright so here we go again!!!! So I haven't found this book to be interesting so far. I definitely thought "The Things they Carried" was much better, but it is still too soon to know for sure.

Here, Hemingway compares Cohn's obsession with "The Purple Land" to a middle aged man going from a convent to Wall Street. I don't know about anyone else but I think that would be a funny sight to see! The man would be lost and totally out of place. I guess this is how Cohn became. He got so wrapped up in trying to live out this book that he lost track of reality.

Sometimes I think that people today get wrapped up in what could be and they try to live by a book, song, or movie. I think this is ridiculous. All of these paint unrealistic images. We have to pave our own path in life and make it what we want it to be. Life is an unending maze and no book, movie, or song is going to help us find our way out in one piece.


1 comment: