Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Entry #10

"He shook hands and turned around to the back seat again. The other Basques had been impressed. He sat back comfortably and smiled at me when I turned around to look at the country. But the effort of talking American seemed to have tired him, He did not say anything after that" (page 113).

I found it interesting that although Jake and Bill could not communicate with the Basques, they still enjoyed a great trip together. They drank with the men and through this connection they became friends. When this one man who had spent 15 years in America spoke to them, the other Basques were in awe. This seems odd to me that these Basques looked at two men from a different country with such reverence. They seem to almost worship the men even though they have no idea who they are. It is weird to think that as soon as people see Jake and Bill, they know that they are not from around the area and that they are Americans specifically. I think this shows how different and secluded America is. I believe this to be a bad thing and I think that we need to follow Jake and Bill and at least attempt to widen our horizons and expand our culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment