Friday, August 13, 2010

Entry #18

"'I just couldn't stand it about Brett. I've been through hell, Jake. It's been simply hell. When I met her down here Brett treated me as though I were a perfect stranger. I just couldn't stand it. We lived together at San Sebastian. I suppose you know it. I can't stand it any more'" (page 198).

This quote really shows the effects of Brett's actions. She uses every man she meets, including Jake. When she can get something out of a man, she will be nice and friendly to him. As soon as she is down with him though, he better leave her alone. She made Robert Cohn's life a living hell for the time he spent with her by pretending like he had meant nothing. I think he at least deserved an explanation. He may have been hanging around them, but technically it was originally his trip with Jake; Mike and Brett intruded by asking to come, so they should have been kind to Cohn for allowing them to. I really do feel bad for Cohn now and I wonder what became of him after he left.

1 comment: