Friday, August 13, 2010

Entry #20- I made it!!!!

'"Oh Jake,' Brett said, 'we could have had such a damned good time together.'
Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.
'Yes,' I said. 'Isn't it pretty to think so?'" (page 251).

So I finally made it to the end, and honestly it was quit a let down. I thought that eventually Jake and Brett would end up together because her love for him would over power her wants. Obviously I was wrong. I thought that as a whole, The Sun Also Rises was not climatic. There never seemed to be much going on other than Jake's everyday life and his vacations he took. I thought the most exciting part of the whole book was the bull-fighting and the stories of the fights between Cohn and Romero.

Now to this particular quote. Brett has angered me once again! She sits there and tells Jake how much she loved Romero, but that she is going back with Mike. Then she has the audacity to say how much fun they could have had together, like she didn't have a say in that decision. She had many chances to be with Jake, but kept choosing to leave him. She acts like the world revolves around her, making everyone who gets to close to hr suffer.

1 comment:

  1. I agree!! Brett made me so angry when I read this book. I did not like how she would mess with the guy's feelings. I thought it was selfish of her to treat Jake like that, and for her to say that at the end just made me angry. Jake was always there for her,but she just would forget him. She could have been with him if she had wanted because it was obvious how much he loved and cared for her.

    ReplyDelete