Monday, August 9, 2010

Entry #2

"'I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it'" (page 18).

This quote stuck out like a sore thumb to me. It seems to be so true to my life as this point in time. It seems odd that in a week I will be starting my freshman year and earlier this week I worked freshman orientation as a senior! I can still remember coming in to orientation and be attacked by the big bad seniors along with my classmates. Now we are those big bad seniors!

Later in the conversation between Jake and Cohn, Jake says that nobody really lives up their life, except for bull-fighters. This is brutally honest. No one ever lives their lives up to the fullest. At some point in time, we will back down and make mistakes, but this is part of life. Bull-fighters don't back down from a challenge just because it's dangerous and they truly do live their life to the fullest. Maybe their is a lesson that everyone can learn from them.

2 comments:

  1. Caitlin, I think you picked up on a really good point Hemingway makes: hardly anyone lives their life to the fullest! How often do moments like death or near-death experiences make people say "oh, I'm going to ____ (cut down on work to be with my family, help those in need, etc. etc.) because I don't want to die with regrets?!" Hemingway is not-so-subtly telling his audience to live life to the fullest just as bullfighters do.

    ReplyDelete