Friday, August 13, 2010

Entry #15

Stream of Consciousness- "Mike was unpleasant after he passed a certain point. I liked to see him hurt Cohn. I wished he would not do it, though, because afterward it made me disgusted at myself. That was morality; things that made you disgusted afterward. No, that must be immorality" (page 152).

Many times throughout the novel, the reader gets an inside look at Jake's thoughts. This is one of those times. We see the true side of Jake. He enjoys to see Cohn be tortured, but then feels bad for getting enjoyment out of it. Some kind of friend he is. At least he feels some kind of remorse for his inner thoughts. Before this section, I really did not like Cohn, but I'm starting to feel bad for him. The poor guy seems to have a miserable life and he obviously has no true friends.

I would like to throw in two random comments now...
First- I've decided that a stream of consciousness is like a blog. It lets you into the mind of someone else without leaving anything out.

Second- I found the quote of the book. "Probably I read the same two pages over several times" (page 151). I don't know about anyone else, but I definitely feel empathetic for Jake at this point in time!

1 comment: