Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Entry #20- LAST ONE!!!

"I'm young and happy. I'll never die. I'm skimming across the surface of my own history, moving fast, riding the melt beneath the blades, doing loops and spins, and when I take a high leap into the dark and come down thrity years later, I realize it is as Tim trying to save Timmy's life with a story" (page 233).

Through his stories and dreams, Tim O'Brien can change any story. He can make it into what he wants to believe. In his imagination, everything is perfect. He can bring any back to life so he can spend a little more time with them. He can pretend that they are not dead.

I think in a way, we all have our own ways at pretending that bad things don't happen and haven't happened. It's a coping tool. In his stories, O'Brien showed how many people coped, but this wasn't for him. I think that his last few sentences in the book are him saying that in his stories, he can make himself whatever he wants to be. He can change his childhood and his past to save himself from all the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment