Monday, July 5, 2010

Entry # 1

Simile, page 6: "how the poor guy just dropped like so much concrete. Boom-down, he said. Like cement."

Alright so here I go first blog of the summer and now I have 2 days to get 20 blogs in and over 100 pages read before I leave! :)

The first chapter was interesting to say the least. I was worried at first that the whole entire book would be similar to the lists that were given in this chapter, but thank god it is not! So I did find something to write about by page 6. Kiowa is telling a story aout Ted Lavender and how when he was shot he was "like cement." This simile gives the reader an illusion so they can also see what Kiowa saw when his buddy Ted was shot. It gives the reader insight so they can also feel the sudden shock and death of Ted Lavender.

I think this simile is effective because if you imagine concrete or cement, you imagine something extremely heavy and lifeless. Like the cement, Lavender fell very heavily and I also believe that to the other men, he became lifeless in the blink of an eye. I also imagine that for Kiowa, it was easiest to imagine Lavender as a lifeless piece of cement than to look at his friend and see what he had become and to blame themselves like Lieutenant Cross had.

1 comment: