Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"The Kite Runner"- theme

"What was so funny was that, for the first time since the winter of 1975, I felt at peace. I laughed because I saw that, in some hidden nook in a corner of my mind, I'd even been looking forward to this... I hadn't been happy and I hadn't felt better, not at all. But I did now. My body was broken- just how badly I wouldn't find out until later- but I felt healed. Healed at last. I laughed" (page289). The theme of redemption which shows up in this passage is a central focus and a theme throughout the novel. The action of the novel is driven by this need and want for redemption. It is because of his seeking of redemption that Amir goes to Afghanistan in order to save Sohrab. Throughout his entire life, he feels guilt because of his cowardice when Hassan was being raped. When Assef finally beats Amir close to death, he feels relief and redemption. He believes that he finally got what was coming to him. He achieves full redemption when at the end of the novel, he brings Sohrab back to America with him and helps him to start a new life. This particular passage describes the relief Amir felt when he finally began his redemption. He was so broken that when he was beat close to death, he felt healed. He finally believed he had gotten what he deserved all those years, to feel as hurt as Hassan had all those years before.

No comments:

Post a Comment