Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"The Kite Runner"- dynamic character

"Then I did what I hadn't done in fifteen years of marriage: I told my wife everything. Everything. I had pictured this moment so many times, dreaded it, but, as I spoke, I felt something lifting off my chest" (page 325). At the beginning of the novel, Amir has trouble coming to terms with his past. He sees himself as a coward and he is constantly lying about his past. Because of his denials and lies, he faces many problems in his future life. Throughout the entire first half of the novel, Amir is battling with this internal conflict of the past he has lived and whether or not he should attempt to redeem himself or share his past with others. When he finally, goes to "make himself good again," he starts to make a dynamic change. He eventually goes to Afghanistan and the peak moment of his transformation from a coward to being brave and standing up for himself and others comes when he fights Assef and refuses to leave without Sohrab. Amir finally makes this cross-over for cowardice to bravery, and at the same time, achieves his redemption. When he calls Soraya and tells her about his past, he is once again making an important change and allowing others into his life to help him. Because of these changes Amir makes, he can be classified as a dynamic character.

No comments:

Post a Comment