Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Coming Soon: The Lottery

Plot
I decided to choose "The Lottery" for my short story adaptation because I think much could be done in line with the theme and because it had a scary theme which I think would help to involve the audience. In terms of plot, I thought the way it was set up in the short story was adequate for a story, but for a movie, much would need to be added. I think that before the surprise ending of what the Lottery really is, there would need to be some background on the town itself and the individual characters as well. If I was making "The Lottery" into a movie, I would not begin the story with the lottery, but instead would follow the town and the workings of the individual families before the lottery. I think this would add more sympathy for the characters and the way in which they live. I also think this would allow the viewer to see the extent of the blind acceptance of this long-standing tradition. In terms of the lottery part of the plot, I think I would keep most of it the same. I would add more dialogue between the characters during this section, but keep most of the plot the same.

Point of View
While reading the short story, I liked the 3rd person omniscient point of view and I think I would keep this for the movie. Many movies may begin and end in a specific point of view, but the between is difficult to pinpoint exactly what the point of view is. This is how I would design this film. I would start off jumping from person to person like the whole town was telling the story, but would progress into the action and because of this, the point of view would be lost. This is common in most movies because the audience does not want to sit and listen to people telling the story, they want action. For this reason, I would have the point of view fade in and out, so that the audience doesn't get bored, but they still pick up on the theme of the whole town being in on this long-standing tradition. These changes may cause the audience to lose some of the theme of the blind acceptance, but I think for the most part, this theme would not be lost.

Characterization
I liked the indirect characterization of the characters in "The Lottery" and would keep it this way in the movie adaptation. Through conversations and actions, I would reveal small snippets of the characters personalities so the audience could meet the characters rather than being told about them. Some changes with characterization would be that the audience would get to meet the characters before the day of the lottery, so they would get to see them in everyday life. I think this would enhance the short story, because instead of just seeing the characters in a stressful situation, the audience would get to see them when they are normal. This would help to illuminate the theme of blind acceptance because it would show that in everyday life, these people are normal, but because of this tradition, they turn into monsters. I think this would add to the work also because the audience would be able to better relate to the characters as they go through everyday life rather than just believing these people are crazy killers.

Setting
In my adaptation of the short story, the setting would be much more complex. In the short story, the only setting is June 27th on a clear and sunny day and the town square. In the movie, there would be more complex and stereotypical settings of a small town. For example, a town court house in the square and a clock tower. The houses would also reflect stereotypes of small towns. This would add to the meaning because it would emphasize the small town and the people/society being cut off from other influences and technologies. They were very old fashioned in the story and I think setting could help to show this. I would also emphasize the fact that they are cut off from other people who could influence the town to stop the brutality in their tradition.

Theme
Because the themes of "The Lottery" were the main part of the story that caused me to like this story while also being scared by it, I would try to change the themes as little as possible. I would be sure to still convey the theme of blind acceptance of traditions and accepting what authority tells you to do. I found these themes to be true even today and I think they are very important to the story. I would do this by keeping it so mostly everyone accepts the tradition, even the victims family members. I would still include the scene where the Adams mention stopping the lottery, but like in the story, it will be a small detail which passes quickly. Through the plot and setting, I would convey the old-fashion ways of the town which also help to establish the theme. by only making slight changes to the story while adding much on, I think the themes and meanings could remain and even enhance the short story.




No comments:

Post a Comment